Hearty Tex-Mex Soup
Hearty and filling, you can imagine this superb soup was eaten by mexican bandits on the run!
For 4 people
Time: 30 minutes
- 340g can Green Giant sweet corn
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 900ml/1½ pints vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 410 g can red kidney beans
- 50g/2oz cheddar cheese
- 2 spring onions
- 1 large saucepan
Back to All Recipes >
- Peel and finely chop the onion, peel and crush the garlic. Peel the sweet potato and chop into small chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for 3 minutes then stir in the garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute over a medium heat.
- Pour in the stock, add tomato puree, canned tomatoes and sweet potato and bring to simmer. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes. Drain the sweet corn and red kidney beans and stir in, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To prepare the topping, coarsely grate the cheese, trim the spring onions and slice thinly.
- Remove the pan from the heat, season if needed then serve the soup topped with the cheese and spring onions.
Tip :Freshly chopped coriander can be stirred into the soup at the end if you like the taste.