Magnificent Macaroni Cheese
Everybody loves macaroni cheese, and with sweet corn it's sure to be a hit with your kids. Enjoy!
For 4 people
Time: 30 minutes
- 340g can Green Giant Sweet Corn
- 200g macaroni
- 350g broccoli florets
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 600mlt semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp English mustard (if you like it)
- 175g cheddar cheese, grated
- Large pan
- Medium pan
- Ovenproof dish
Back to All Recipes >
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
- Start off by boiling the macaroni, meanwhile chop the broccoli up into small pieces. After the pasta has boiled for about 5 minutes add the broccoli. Cook them both together for about another 3 minutes until they're tender and then drain them and put them in an ovenproof dish.
- This next bit where you make the cheese sauce is actually quite easy - and quite fun, your children could even help with the stirring! First melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook, while stirring, for about a minute until you have a sort of paste. Now add a splash of milk and stir quickly until all the liquid is absorbed. Keep doing this until all the milk is used up - just make sure you keep stirring and don't add too much milk at one time or the sauce might get a bit lumpy. Now you've got a nice thick sauce add the English mustard if you like and put in a bit of salt and pepper. Then add three quarters of the cheese and stir until it's melted - hey presto a great and easy cheese sauce.
- Now add the sweet corn to the sauce and pour it all into the dish containing the macaroni and the broccoli, mixing everything together nicely. Scatter the remaining cheese over the top and then just bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the dish is bubbling and golden and super delicious.