Rice with Butternut, Corn and Leeks
A colourful combination or Rice and vegetables for a non meat meal!
For 4 people
Time: 30 minutes
- 340g can Green Giant Sweet Corn, drained
- 1 medium butternut squash approx 700g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 175g basmati and wild rice
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and washed
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 15g butter
- 25g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaved parsley (optional)
- Roasting tin
- Large saucepan
- Small frying pan
Back to All Recipes >
- Heat the oven to 200C(fan 180C) 400F/gas mark 6 Peel the butternut squash and cut into 2cm cubes, (you will have about 550g), toss in the 2 tablespoons of the oil then spread in a single layer in a roasting tin, scatter over the cumin seeds and season with salt and pepper. Roast about 20-25 minutes, turning halfway, until just tender but firm enough to hold its shape.
- Meanwhile, rinse rice in a strainer under cold water then put into a large pan of boiling water and boil steadily for 20 minutes then drain. Slice the leeks add to the pan with the stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn and simmer for 2 minutes longer. Add rice and butternut squash, simmer until heated through and liquid is absorbed. Allow to stand for 5 minutes, season if needed
- Meanwhile heat the butter in a small frying pan, add the walnuts and toss together over a medium high heat 3-4 minutes until toasted.
- Fold the parsley, if using, into the rice dish and transfer to a serving dish spoon over the toasted nuts.
Tips : If using brown basmati rice, it will take longer to cook.
The dish can also be topped with cubed feta cheese or soft goat’s cheese instead of or as well as the walnuts and seeds.